Tuesday, 1 September 2026

"Literary landscapes" by John Sutherland (ed) (Elwin Street Productions, 2018)

Settings of dozens of novels are written about in this book. Sometimes there are paintings by (or admired by) the writers, sometimes maps. Authors range from Jane Austen (Bath) to Eleanor Catton (New Zealand) and beyond.

Some of the settings attract fans. There's Bloomsday, and SF fans trace the route of Wells' Martians from Woking to Primrose Hill. I've visited several of the locations, though I didn't feel close to all of them. The ones I most identified with were Manzoni's Lombardy, Hardy's Dorset, Joyce's Dublin, and Strindberg's Stockholm Archipelago.

Misc notes -

  • "Anne of Green Gables" is described as a "chosen one" narrative (a term I'd forgotten). In such texts, only one person can put a magical world (Oz, Wonderland, Narnia, Hogwarts) right. But Avonlea could be real.
  • For Hardy, there's a map showing the real or fictional names of places. Portsmouth (where I grew up) keeps its name. Swanage (where my mother was born) is Knollsea. He renamed Wareham (my father's birthplace) Anglebury, after a pub that my grandfather must have frequently visited.
  • Daphne du Maurier saw an abandoned estate called Menabilly and used it in "Rebecca" as Mandalay. When Hitchcock's film made her rich she bought the estate, but her children disliked living in it.
  • "Arturo's Island" (Elsa Morante) is "Considered by many as one of the finest Italian novels of the twentieth century". Oops. I've not heard of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment