Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Wednesday 15 August 2001

"binary myths" by Andy Brown (ed)

I liked the introduction and many of the poets' contributions. I found that the more I agreed with the poets' views, the less I liked their poems (except for Donaghy, whose comments I liked). I'm surprised that some poets have difficulty understanding what readers might mean when they call a work "difficult". I still have trouble being convinced that Gender is much of an issue in poetry - its exploration seems better suited to broader political action than to writing poems. The descriptions and explanations of differences between US and UK poetry merit further space.

No comments:

Post a Comment