Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Wednesday 25 February 2004

"The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon (Jonathan Cape, 2003)

An easy read. Chapter 229 is my favourite. Maybe it's not fair to query the realism, but

  • The boy has no sex life.
  • We're told about (rather than shown) his obsessions. The listed obsessions are those normally listed in text books - perhaps too many are listed. Having known some chess-addicts I find it hard to believe that for the duration of the book he never studies/plays chess though he's good at it.
  • The maths doesn't always strike me as the type/standard that I'd expect the boy to be interested in.

I like the dialogue and plot. I think I'd have preferred the narrator to be older or cleverer (or more unselfconsciously pretentious) so that the self-analysis and theory-making could be more interesting in its own right.

It's in sans serif

Other reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment