Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Sunday 20 June 2010

"The Icon Maker" by Paul Stubbs (Arc, 2008)

Had I but world enough, and time, I'd read the 90+ pages of poetry here because a skim suggests there are interesting parts. The long and the short of it is that I think I'd have to edit as I go along for it to suit me. Here's the start of the first (4 page) poem

It was just
after the announcement,
      over the tannoy
      that religion had ended,
that I felt
      the overwhelming
      compulsion to depart
      it, heaven.
- And why, still, today,
      in this chair

      I descend.

I don't get the line-breaks, the indentation, or even the punctuation. There are 3 line and 4 line poems too, which I think I prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment