Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Wednesday 23 April 2014

"Tintin in the New World" by Frederic Tuten (Riverhead Books, 1993)

I liked chapter X - a stand-alone dream. Elsewhere there are too many long, tedious monologues. A missed opportunity. I thought Captain Haddock would turn out to be his father. Here are some examples of the period diction -

  • "He tried not to make the disparity of our situations appear more poignant than in fact it was, while I took great and perverse pains to tell him every detail of my miserable situation - all this over lunch, which my friend most delicately assured me was his treat" (p.156)
  • "Whatever once drew me to you, the filial impulse, the recognition of your personality, the respect for you mighty largess, I now disown" (p.200)
  • "I grow to know less and less of yesterdays, Clavdia. 'These roses under my window make no reference to former roses or to better ones; they are for what they are; they exist with God today. There is no time to them. There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence. Before a leaf bud has burst, its whole life acts" (p.213)
  • "the tears in his eyes shed no longer in remorse and grief but in gratitude for the lessening of his pain and for the quickening sense of hope and renewal" (p.219)

Other reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment