Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Saturday 16 February 2019

"The Year's Afternoon" by Douglas Dunn (Faber, 2000)

There are poems from The North, Poetry Ireland, Poetry Review, TLS, etc. The Year's Afternoon (the title poem) is long, including -

This is my time, my possessive, opulent
Freedom in free-fall from salaried routines,
Intrusions, the boundaryless tedium.
...
For three hours without history or thirst
Time is my own unpurchased and intimate
Republic of the cool wind and blue sea.
(p.3)

Here are extracts from other poems

Self-sacrificial 'Soldier' Oates lies there
still sinking down the ice-cap draped in breath
That turned to crystals when he welcomed death.
He's shrouded in refrigerated prayer.
(p.15)
Night after night, trying each umpteenth Muse
For suitability, a Scots accord
Between my accent and a verbal bruise
Inflicted on each cadenced English word
In an attempt to write the way I spoke
Reduced your protégé to an Inglis joke
(p.27)
Older, and no wiser,
I sit in the sun
With understanding
That's always on the edge

Nearing its conclusions,
Always getting closer
But never reaching
What I want to know
(p.52)

I couldn't finish his short story collection, and I struggled to get through this. Surely it didn't need to be 81 pages long. Poems like "A Complete Stranger" don't interest me - tired subject matter, staid execution. I liked "Woodnotes" though.

No comments:

Post a Comment