Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Saturday 27 April 2019

"Are we there yet?" by Sally Goldsmith (Smith doorstop, 2013)

I was disappointed by this, given the reviews it's had and the puffs by Harsent and Morley. Thaw (which I liked) was highly commended in the NPC. 3 of the poems (2 of which I didn't like) were shortlisted for the Bridport. A pamphlet was a winner in the Poetry business competition. There are sonnets, rhyming couplets, terza rima, etc.

I liked "The Robin Clock", "The Oak and the Fencemaker" and "Janice". Too many of the other poems leave me cold. "Are we there yet" is an over-used title for a death-bed poem.

Other reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment