Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Wednesday 12 February 2020

"helium" by Rudy Francisco (button poetry, 2017)

He's a Spoken Word poet. There are some good lines, some of which are presented as short poems -

  • "I have solar-powered confidence/ and a battery-operated smile./ My hobbies include: editing my life story,// hiding behind metaphors,/ and trying to convince my shadow/ that I'm someone worth following." (p.15)
  • "I held you the way a boat holds water. I should have have left when I felt us sinking" (p.29)
  • "depression ... getting out of bed has become a magic tick. ... I treat my face like a pumpkin. I pretend that it's Halloween. I carve it into something acceptable" (p.31)
  • "Why did you leave? Because you wouldn't let me love both of us at the same time" (p.34)
  • "When you choose to be a poet, you become a place that people walk through and then leave when they are ready" (p.39)
  • "There was a moment in my life when I couldn't tell the difference between a window and a mirror. I could look into both and see everything but myself" (p.47)
  • "Being black is one of the most extreme sports in America. We don't need to invent new ways of risking our lives because the old ones have been working for decades" (p.59)
  • "Forgiveness is the well that all of my water comes from. I pour it over my past, apologize to my reflection. He accepts." (p.83)
  • "it doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty. There's water in the cup. Drink it and stop complaining." (p.93)

Other reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment