Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Saturday 2 January 2021

"The Prince of Wails" by Stephen Knight (CB editions, 2012)

Poems from TLS, Poetry Review, Poetry London, Oxford Poetry, The North, LRB, etc.

Just about every page bewilders me. I can see the odd neat phrase or piece of observation. And there's no lack of variety in the presentation - rhyme, abcedarian, prose, bullet-marks, multiple choice, short-lines, gaps in fully aligned lines. When I think I do understand a piece (e.g. "A British Summer", "Album") it seems rather slight. "Butterfly" is 8 lines of tight rhyme, and the language is clear. I was ready for something about transience or transformation. I think I got a dream or a riddle. "A Tick-Box Life" includes this multiple choice question - "Is a purposeless existence making you sad? If nothing else presents itself, you can always ..." with only one option offered - "Teach".

In "The Smiles" the narrator sees smiles erupt until finally "a smile reverses in a space too small for smiles a calls back// a smile avoids the cracks a smile stooping for a penny finds a pound/ a smile agrees a smile is at the door and someone lets it in".

In "An ABC of Winter" "Perhaps the winter has/ Our future planned/ And means to cover/ Every scrap of land./ Unlike those sheep,/ My lad, I understand./ The wind is difficult:/ Its operatic moans/ A touch too grand" - which I understand at some level - perhaps because it's "for my son" - but it seems minor. I understand - even like - "Lost Things" about a dead father returning to a house, noticing changes. I suspect it's an idea that's been done before. In "Happly Ever After", some typos are corrected in the margin - but only one per line, e.g. - "lak of rithum no exgus we tuch sea      excuse"

No comments:

Post a Comment