Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Sunday 18 December 2022

"Night Sky with Exit Wound" by Ocean Vuong (Cape, 2017)

Poems from APR, Boston Review, Narrative, The Nation, New Yorker, Poetry, Poetry Ireland, Poetry Review, etc. There are many eye-catching metaphors and similes. Several of the following puzzle me. Some look like a straightforward comparison given an extra twist to make it incomprehensible. Here I'm quoting them out of context, but I don't think the context would help.

  • He is so still I think// he could be anyone's father, found/ the way a green bottle might appear// at a boy's feet containing a year/ he has never touched (p.7) - Eh?
  • The dress/ petaling off him like the skin/ of an apple (p.9) - "dress petaling off" is ok, but I don't get the rest.
  • O mother,// O minute hand, teach me/ how to hold a man the way thirst// holds water (p.12) - I presume "minute" refers to time rather than size. Maybe the narrator wants to learn patience.
  • silent & heavy // as an amputated hand (p.16) - I think an amputated hand would be surprisingly light. Maybe that's the point.
  • The way the barrel, aimed at the sky, must tighten/ around a bullet// to make it speak (p.17) - I'm happier with that.
  • Stupid boy./ You can get lost in every book/ but you'll never forget yourself/ the way god forgets his hands (p.19). "god forgets his hands"? If this is good, why do the big indents (not shown here) make it better?
  • Instead, let it be the echo to every footstep/ drowned out by rain, cripple the air like a name// flung onto a sinking boat (p.25) - the footsteps don't have echoes, and in what sense do shouted names cripple the air?
  • I am ready to be every animal/ you leave behind (p.29) - ok
  • When our lips touched the day closed/ into a coffin (p.30) - doesn't work for me. Sounds too intellectual.
  • You're so quiet you're almost// tomorrow (p.35) - I guess so
  • found the heart// not the size of a fist// but your mouth opening// to the width/ of Jerusalem (p.36) - "width of Jerusalem"?
  • If only/ he dies the second his name becomes a tooth/ in your mouth (p.38) - eh?
  • They say the sky is blue/ but I know it's black seen through too much distance (p.47) - ok
  • Fingers blurred,/ I play what I know/ from listening to orchards/ unleash their sweetest/ wrongs (p.48) - puzzling
  • Turn back & find the book I left/ for us, filled/ with all the colors of the sky/ forgotten by gravediggers. Use it to prove how the stars/ were always what we knew// they were: the exit wounds/ of every/ misfired words (p.56) - this has many extra indents. Why? The imagery nearly holds together for me - "sky" connects with the later "stars"; "book" connects with "words".
  • Red is only black remembering (p.72) - ok
  • Your dead friends passing/ through you like wind through a wind chime (p.79) - ok, but I think I've seen it before

"Seventh Circle of Earth" is blank except for numbers to footnotes, and the footnotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment