Literary reviews by Tim Love.
Warning: Rather than reviews, these are often notes in preparation for reviews that were never finished, or pleas for help with understanding pieces. See Litref Reviews - a rationale for details.

Wednesday 20 September 2023

"Heimlich's Manoeuvre" by Paula Cunningham (Smith/Doorstep, 2013)

Poems from Poetry Ireland Review, The North, The Guardian, etc.

Though just about every poem is worth reading (for a good line or because it's based on a good idea), they don't always succeed as a whole. They feel like missed opportunities. I like "Mother's Pride", though it sags in the middle. "Too Dear" depends too much on "My dear, I was too dear for you". The final line of "Broken couplets" isn't enough to justify the poem. "Aubade" is too long - cut down, it would have been a good first paragraph of a story. "Because" is too long. The short lines of "On Being the least feminine woman you've ever met" don't disguise that it's more suited to prose. "Seed" and "Astronomy for beginners" would have enriched a short story. "At first our letter" stretches its material too thinly.

That still leaves several noteworthy pieces. I like "Notes from an ear", "Seeing thing" and (maybe my favourite) "Losing the keys".

"Bane", uniquely, has lines with random lengths/indents, and it rhymes. I don't think I get "Notice"

No comments:

Post a Comment